THE number of dengue cases has dropped by half but the Terengganu Health Department is preparing to face any sudden increase in cases over the coming Hari Raya festive season.
Its director Dr Mohammad Omar said they expected a rise in the mosquito-borne disease due to uncertain weather conditions and the increased movement of people.
“This is also based on trends from other states.
“We are preparing ourselves although in Terengganu, we did not see a significant increase in dengue cases during the festive season last year.
“Our health officers are not about to rest on their laurels in curbing dengue,” he said in a press statement on Tuesday.
Dr Mohammad said up until May this year, the state recorded 68 dengue cases, almost a 50% reduction compared with 134 cases in the same period last year.
He said there were no deaths involved in any of these cases, adding that the decrease could be due to efforts taken by the department to prevent the disease from spreading.
He added that the department also checked over 72,000 premises for Aedes breeding grounds, and found 874 premises positive for the vector from January to April this year.
“We also issued 272 notices to premises found with Aedes larvae within the compounds,” he said, adding that the department also carried out gotong-royong as well as fogging and larvicidal spraying.
During a visit to the Dataran Shahbandar Ramadan Bazaar on Tuesday, Dr Mohammad also advised the public to be cautious when buying food at Ramadan bazaars to avoid food poisoning.
“We advise sellers to maintain a high level of cleanliness not only among themselves, but at the places where they get their supplies from,” he said.