JINJANG Selatan Tambahan (JST) residents will stage a peaceful demonstration this Thursday to request for a postponement of their relocation.
On Jan 29, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) issued a 30-day eviction notice to around 400 families living in the area but the flats they were supposed to move into was still under construction.
Resident T. Gnapoovathy V. Tharumapalan, 51, who had lived there for almost 12 years, said they had no choice but to voice out their dissatisfaction.
“My mother-in-law has been protesting for 45 years and she has passed away.
“Most of the residents living here are senior citizens, who are hardly able to work and apply for bank loans,” she said, adding that the residents were in the dark about when the new residences would be ready.
“They should complete the houses first before asking us to move out,” Gnapoovathy added.
“Some residents do not own a second house. They need to rent a place after moving out but rental is expensive.
The eviction letter stated that first-generation families will be given an ex-gratia settlement comprising a RM1,000 one-off payment and a 750 sq ft affordable housing unit at RM42,000 as well as a monthly allowance of RM700 until the new accommodation was ready.
Second-generation families will be offered a RM3,000 one-off sum as well as a 800 sq ft affordable housing unit at RM200,000.
“Rent for apartments is about RM1,200 a month, so, the RM700 allowance is not enough,” said resident Godwin Chong, 25, who has been living here since he was born.
Jinjang Selatan Tambahan Social Development Association (PPSJST) vice-president Woon Yeow Pin said the developer and DBKL had promised to relocate residents once the flats had been constructed.
“We are willing to move out. To date, we see no progress of the construction.
“I hope the relevant authorities can hear the residents out,” he said.
Kepong Community Service Centre chief Yee Poh Ping said residents had nowhere to go if they moved out of their current homes and work on the new units had not begun.
“We hope the construction can be carried out in phases, which allows the residents to stay on until work on the development project is completed.
“According to the developmental plan, the proposed construction area which spans 76.6ha requires at least 15 to 20 years to complete.
“Not even a pillar has been erected even though some areas have been cleared, so why are they being asked to move out?” he questioned.
Yee highlighted that a newly added regulation was stated in the letter from DBKL.
“Only those who are unable to show their Temporary Occupation Licence (TOL) while signing for the relocation consent document will receive different compensation,” he said.