ROAD users were happy to see the Batu Tiga toll plaza on the Federal Highway being demolished yesterday.
The unused toll plazas became a point of contention with drivers following two fatal accidents that claimed four lives.
“Every time I see a car speeding past the toll booths, I will flinch. The motorists are really reckless,” said A. Manikam.
He said if motorists drove cautiously along the stretch, accidents could be avoided.
Alex Cheung, who used the Federal Highway frequently, said the removal of the toll plaza would mean less congestion upon completion.
“Once it is removed with proper markings, I hope the jam will be reduced. However, I am not sure if the lack of additional lanes would mean more congestion. We will just have to wait and see,” he added.
Social media was abuzz with people debating about the toll plaza that was deemed to be the cause of the accidents.
Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) director-general Datuk Ismail Md Salleh said they started the tender process in January and began demolition after the new year holidays.
Everything was working according to schedule, he said, adding that the works were expected to complete by end of March.
He dismissed tals that demolition works were sped up following the second accident that claimed two lives on Monday night.
His comment was corroborated through a statement sent to the media by highway concessionaire PLUS Malaysia (PLUS).
PLUS managing director Datuk Azman Ismail said preliminary works, including relocation of toll equipment, signage and other assets, began on Jan 22 and ended on Feb 8.
“At this point we have begun road diversion works and transporting the necessary machinery while traffic management and lane closures began yesterday,” he added.
Advising motorists to be cautious when driving through the toll plaza area, Azman added that there were many signage there including speed limit and no overtaking signs among others.
All 150,000 motorists at Batu Tiga toll are advised to follow the high-mast lighting, road markings and the safety cones.
On Monday, Fathurezza Khoirul Huda Halimsuyto, 31, and Noor Hidayah Mohamed Rezmi, 27, who were heading to Shah Alam from Kuala Lumpur, were killed after losing control of their vehicle and crashing into one of the pillars of the toll plaza.
Earlier last month, 21-year-old Muhammad Azki Dahlan Jamit and 20-year-old Norsya’Baniah Norhisham were killed when their car skidded and crashed into one of the booths at the same location. The driver survived with serious injuries.