THE crematorium operated by Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) in Kampung Tunku has been reopened and both burners can now be operated simultaneously.
It was earlier reported that in the crematorium staff office was razed in a fire last month, forcing the council to shut down operations since Aug 16.
Petaling Jaya mayor Datuk Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain said the wiring had been upgraded and the fire-damaged areas were cleared by the end of August.
The crematorium has been back in operations since the beginning of this month.
“We replaced some parts of the burner and work was completed last week.
“Both the modern burners can now be operated at the same time and one of the older burners is being kept as a back-up,” he said this at the PJ Car-Free Day event which took place at Kelana Jaya Park.
Based on a previous report, MBPJ purchased both the modern computerised burners in 2012 at a total cost of RM1.3mil.
However, the 40-year-old crematorium was at the time unable to support the energy consumption of both the new burners in operation simultaneously and the problem was attributed to the wiring at the crematorium.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful