Pajeri nenas is a popular Malay dish that has Indian roots.
It is derived from pacri, or sometimes spelt pachri or paceri, which is usually translated as relish, chutney or salsa.
In Goa, India, it is called pachedi, and can be made with any fruit or vegetable to go with rice and curry.
It is quite similar to pachadi in Indonesia, which is a richer version that contains coconut.
However, we have stuck to the classic form of the recipe without coconut, where it is served as a refreshing relish to go with other richer foods.
This is a vegan dish, but you can add dried shrimp or fish if you want to round out the dish with some umami flavour.
Traditionally, however, pajeri is served as an accompaniment to nasi briyani and mutton curry.
You may also use canned pineapples for this dish, although it will tend to be sweeter because of the syrup.
Be sure to omit the sugar in the final seasoning if you are using canned pineapples.
After adding the pineapple stock, bring it to a boil. Then, add pineapple slices. — Photos: YAP CHEE HONG/The Star
Pajeri Nenas (Pineapple Relish) ingredients:
1 pineapple, half ripe
1 litre water
1 tbs turmeric powder
1 tbs vinegar
7 red chillies, seeded
3 cloves garlic
5 tbs cooking oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 pods star anise
3 pods cardamom
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbs vinegar
3 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Remove the pineapple skin and eyes, slice into rings and remove the core.
2. Poach pineapple slices in water, turmeric powder and vinegar for about 10 minutes. Drain the pineapple slices and put aside.
3. Heat cooking oil in a sauce pan and saute ginger and spice blend for about 5 minutes until wilted. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and cardamom and saute until fragrant.
4. Add pineapple stock and bring to a boil. Then add pineapple slices.
5. Season with vinegar, turmeric powder, sugar and salt to taste.
The pineapple's skin and eyes are removed first before being sliced into rings and before removing the core.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!