Fire at council crematorium due to short circuit

MBPJ's crematorium at Kampung Tunku along Jalan 229 in Petaling Jaya

THE Petaling Jaya City Council crematorium experienced a short circuit on Monday night, resulting in a small fire breaking out. 

Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) communications officer Hasbullah Juyahir said the crematorium would be closed for checks and repair works until the end of the month.

“The fire department has inspected the crematorium and the repair works are ongoing,” he said.

The fire from wiring problems came on the back of a report last month by StarMetro which stated that the two modern burners, which cost RM1.3mil, were being crippled by poor wiring. The burners were bought in 2012.

The report quoted Jeffrey Phang, spokesman for MyPJ, the Petaling Jaya-based community group, as saying that the issue of power supply should not have arisen because it should have been addressed when the new burners were purchased and installed.

It was reported that despite there being two electrical burners, only one could be operated at a time due to issues with wiring. 

The council’s former public relations officer Zainun Zakaria admitted that although both burners were in working condition, they could not be operated simultaneously.

The 40-year-old crematorium is located at Jalan 229, Section 51A, Petaling Jaya.

The council-operated crematorium charges RM180 for the remains of an adult and RM100 for a child. The maintenance cost a year is RM180,000.

A nearby private operator charges about RM588 for adults, RM238 for those below 18 years old and RM158 for those below a year old.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Others Also Read