Land where rubbish fire rage should be seized


The fire that has been raging on the land is expected to be sorted out finally on Saturday.

THE Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) will recommend that the Petaling Land Office seize a 2.83ha land in Section 35 that has been the site of a rubbish fire in the last two weeks.

Mayor Datuk Ahmad Zaharin Mohd Saad said he had spoken to the land department and would be forwarding the suggestion since the land had been turned into an illegal dumpsite.

He said the landowners had not stepped forward to explain or take responsibility despite a fire that had raged out of control on the parcel of land located near Alam Impian and Jalan Bukit Kemuning. Consequently, thick black smoke had permeated the surrounding area, raising the ire of residents nearby.

“We just found out the name of the landowner, and I have asked that the land be seized since this would be a more fitting punishment. On our side we will look into summons and other areas that are permissible under our own bylaws,” he added.

Ahmad Zaharin said that among the actions the council would be taking on its part was to bill the landowner for all expenses incurred during the process of dousing the fire, which required hired equipments like excavators.

He said this during the full board meeting at Wisma MBSA after the matter was raised by Orang Besar Daerah Petaling Datuk Emran Kadir.

Emran suggested that a penalty needed to be handed out as the landowner was a developer and not a poor villager.

Ahmad Zaharin also mentioned that the fire department was forced to deploy non-Muslim firefighters from East Malaysia due to the hot weather that would have affected the health of Muslim officers due to this issue.

This is the second time a fire had occurred on the land following an incident last year, and the councils believes it may have been caused by scavengers looking for valuables.

Works to clear the fire on the land is expected to be completed by this Saturday ahead of the Hari Raya celebrations.

During the meeting, councillor Tan Ah Kow had also raised a question on the progress of the meeting with the Kuala Langat District Council (MDKL) over the proposed flyovers in Kota Kemuning to be build using some funds from the district council.

MBSA is asking MDKL to pay a sum for the flyover’s construction cost from the development charge cash pool paid to them by townships using the soon-to-be built flyover.

The flyover will be built at the first roundabout after exiting the Kesas highway onto Persiaran Anggerik Mokara, a heavily congested route.

Several new townships being built in MDKL’s jurisdiction will be using the same road as an access route, which would mean additional traffic.

According to MBSA’s engineering department director, Cheremi Tarman, their negotiations with MDKL had been futile and they could not reach an agreement. 

Tan, in response, said the council should ask the state government to intervene and prepare a paper on the issue to be presented to the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES).
ends
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers