KLANG’S third bridge is now open to motorists.
The bridge, which was built at a cost of RM199mil by the Selangor government, was completed three weeks ahead of schedule.
Work on the bridge started on July 17, 2014 and the date of completion was set for June 15, 2017.
Selangor Infrastructure Committee chairman Zaidy Abdul Talib said the bridge was expected to take 30% of the existing flow of traffic away from Jambatan Kota and Jambatan Musaeddin.
He said the bridge provided a new option for motorists crossing the Klang River from both sides of the town, especially during peak hours.
“It will serve motorists from Kapar and Meru who are heading towards Port Klang, Teluk Pulai, Persiaran Raja Muda Musa, Teluk Gadung and several other areas.
“Likewise, motorists from these areas can avoid congestion on the two other bridges and get to Jalan Kapar, Jalan Meru and the New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE) more easily,” he said at the soft opening of the bridge.
Zaidy said the bridge, which linked the northern and southern parts of Klang through Jalan Goh Hock Huat and Jalan Sungai Bertih, stood at a length of 1.35km and covered a total road distance of 2.5km.
He said the electricity supply to the bridge had been connected and it was safe to use.
“The State Public Works Department, which was responsible for building the bridge, has done a good job and the bridge will be handed over to the Klang Municipal Council in due course.
“The state government has used its reserve funds to build the bridge as part of its promise to the people of Klang,” he said. He believed the bridge would be fully utilised by residents.