ADVERTISEMENT

Condo folk fear upcoming hillside project may cause erosion and floods


An aerial view of the hillside area, located next to the Miami Green Condominium (blue-roofed buildings), which has been earmarked for a mixed development project in Batu Ferringhi, Penang. — Dronepic: ZAINUDIN AHAD/The Star

An aerial view of the hillside area, located next to the Miami Green Condominium (blue-roofed buildings), which has been earmarked for a mixed development project in Batu Ferringhi, Penang. — Dronepic: ZAINUDIN AHAD/The Star

MIAMI Green Condominium residents in Batu Ferringhi, Penang, are objecting to a mixed development project located behind their high-rise.

Its management corporation (MC) sub-committee member Jessica Lee said the residents were concerned about the upcoming hillside project which they consi-dered as a high-density development and may pose risks to the existing residents in the area.

“What is going to happen when it rains? There’s going to be a possibility of flash floods and soil erosion.

“The water may even weaken the foundation of our condominium,” she said during a meeting with the residents on Saturday.

Lee questioned the approval given by the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) for allowing a high-rise and high-density development to be built above another high-density condominium such as Miami Green.

Miami Green Condominium consists of five 29-storey tower blocks and two low-rise blocks.

Wilson (standing, right) airing his grouses at the meeting. The panel members seated at the table are (from left) Teh and Lee.
Wilson (standing, right) airing his grouses at the meeting. The panel members seated at the table are (from left) Teh and Lee.

A resident Roger Wilson claimed the previous MC committee had failed to inform the residents of the planning approval when a copy of the notice was sent to them early this year.

“Residents have 30 days to state their objections when the notification was sent but the previous MC failed to inform us until four days prior to the expiry date.

“This resulted in the residents not having enough time to gather their thoughts to object the development.

“The residents were cut out of the loop and are now affected by the upcoming project,” he said.

A new MC committee was set up during an annual general meeting on April 29 this year.

Tanjung Bungah assemblyman Teh Yee Cheu, who was present, said he objected the proposal to rezone the plot of land involved, back in 2015.

“I objected to the proposal to rezone the lot from 15 units per acre to 30 units per acre.

“However, I did not to receive any feedback from the council after that,” he said.

Teh added that he would approach state Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow on the matter.

He would also arrange a meeting between Chow and residents.

Chow could not be reached for comments.

A check on the MBPP’s Portal OSC website, found that the planning permission for the mixed development project was approved on Nov 29 last year.

The developer submitted the planning permission on May 12 last year.

Further checks also found that the building plan submitted by the developer on March 30 this year was also approved by the council on May 16 this year.

It was also stated that the mixed development project would include two blocks of 34-storey serviced apartments, shops, and a 20-storey block of affordable housing and low medium-cost flats.

When contacted, the council’s Development Planning Department deputy director Roslan Ramly said the development project was not categorised under ‘special project’.

“It is not situated 250ft (76.2m) above sea level, nor does it have a gradient of more than 25 degrees,” he said.

He added that since the develo-per had obtained the relevant approvals, the next action from the developer is to submit the notice to the council for the commencement of work.

“I am not sure if the developer has submitted the notice to the council yet,” he added.

   

ADVERTISEMENT