A MANAGER’S decision to park his second car further away from the usual spot at the apartment block where he stays in Bandar Baru Air Itam, Penang, saved his vehicle from being damaged in a rockslide incident.
K.W. Chan, 43, said the boulders came crashing down at the open car park some three lots away from where he had parked his second car on Tuesday night.
In the incident at 7.45pm, a white Proton Iswara was partially damaged in the front. But, no one was injured.
“I used to park my car at the exact spot where the boulders came down on Tuesday, but after a similar rockslide incident in October last year, I started parking my cars a few lots away,” he said when met at the apartment in Lengkok Angsana, Bandar Baru Air Itam yesterday.
Chan, who has another car, said he was out on Tuesday night when the incident happened.
“When I came home, I saw the Fire and Rescue Department vehicle and was told of the rockslide.
“I quickly moved my second car to another location,” he said.
Chan said that in the previous incident on Oct 29, last year, rocks fell just a few inches away from where his car was parked.
Babysitter Hamidah Abdul Latiff, 69, said she was watching television, when she heard a loud crash at about 7.45pm on Tuesday.
“I did not come out of my flat to see what had happened, but was shocked to see the fallen rocks the next day,” she said yesterday.
The apartment’s Residents’ Association chairman Sarjahan Yusoff said the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) was told of the rockslide.
“A minor rockslide happened at the same spot about three months ago,” he said when contacted.
The Fire and Rescue Department received a call at 8.32pm on Tuesday from the public about the rockslide.
“The Paya Terubong Fire and Rescue unit responded to the call. There was no casualty,” the department said in a statement here.
MBPP engineering deputy director A. Rajendran said the council has put up temporary concrete and plastic barriers to barricade the site, pending investigation.
“The temporary barricade can help prevent vehicles from parking or going near the site, and also for the safety of the residents there,” he said when met at the site.
Rajendran said that the council would ask the land owner to conduct mitigation work on the site as soon as possible.
“A notice was served to the land owner asking him to keep the place safe following a rockslide incident in November last year.
“That incident took place about 100m away from the spot of Tuesday’s rockslide,” he said.