THE Conlay Group, the developer of a project under construction at Section 17’s old market, said it had complied with all the conditions set by the Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ), and that the stop-work order issued against it on Dec 24 had been lifted.
The developer said this in response to an article in which Petaling Jaya mayor Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain warned that the council could cancel the project’s development order if it was found to have flouted the stop-work order.
The Conlay Group said it had taken immediate preventive measures following the order.
This included installing heavy-duty canvas to close the gaps behind the market traders. The canvas would serve as another layer of protection to complement the existing temporary roof installed early last year.
“The project team on site will also be installing heavy-duty netting above the roof to further protect the traders,” the developer said in a statement.
Long-term measures would be implemented in the coming weeks, it added.
This would include increasing on-site supervision to ensure there would be no repeat of last Christmas Eve’s incident, which saw cement fragments spilling onto Section 17’s temporary wet market site.
Besides repairing and tightening the existing safety netting, the developer stated, a second layer of netting would be put up around the project’s four sides, while a 5m safety catch platform was also being put in place to prevent falling debris from posing a risk as higher floors were constructed.
This custom-built platform, the statement explained, would be installed by February at the latest.
The statement also suggested that traders at the wet market might want to consider working with MBPJ to move to a temporary location down the road and away from the work site – at least until the new market premises, a collaboration between the developer and the city council, was completed later in 2017.
The new market’s construction is expected to start in April, pending approvals from the city council, Conlay Group said.
The stop-work order was confirmed as lifted by the council on Dec 29, said MBPJ public relations officer Zainun Zakaria.
She also confirmed that the council had received the same checklist of additional safety measures stated above.
On Dec 24, MBPJ had placed a stop-work order on the mixed-development project after cement rained down on market traders and customers alike along Jalan 17/29, despite the existing roof.
This was the second stop-work order that the project had received after an incident in April 2016, where some of the structure’s fixtures came tumbling down but were stopped by the construction safety nets.