THE Penang Island City Council (MBPP) will tear down illegal structures put up by owners of premises along Chulia Street, which are blocking the five-foot way.
MBPP councillor Muhammad Bakhtiar Wan Chik said the one-month notices issued on Aug 16 had expired.
“We will tear down the illegal structures which the owners have failed to demolish and we will bill them,” he said during a visit to Chulia Street yesterday.
Muhammad Bakhtiar said four notices had been issued to the owners of premises along Chulia Street by the council’s Heritage Department, urging them to bring down the structures.
“We take the matter very seriously. Penang is a tourist destination, especially the heritage area.
“This is the council’s pilot project to make the five-foot way of shophouses more pedestrian-friendly,” he said.
Muhammad Bakhtiar pointed out that the exercise had begun in April.
“We are looking at completing the check on Chulia Street by April next year and move on to other streets in George Town.
“The council’s enforcement has also issued five notices to premises owners who placed obstacles along the five-foot way,” he said.
On another matter, Muhammad Bakhtiar said that the council had also upgraded the drains in Chulia Street.
“We installed concrete slab over the drain near the Hotel Island City and repaired the drain near Sky Hotel Cafe,” he added. Councillors present were Dr Lim Mah Hui, Lee Chun Kit, Nur Zarina Zakaria, Grace Teoh Koon Gee, D. Kala, Wong Yuee Harng and Gan Ay Ling.