THE Selangor Water Management Authority (Luas) has gazetted the banks of many rivers in Selangor as river reserves to prevent development and agriculture activities from taking place.
Its acting director Nor Zamri Sondor said such activities could contribute to contamination of the water.
He said Luas and other state agencies also conducted checks on activities taking place along the rivers.
“We have gazetted the riverbanks of Sungai Selangor, Sungai Langat, Sungai Damansara, Sungai Semenyih, among other smaller streams.
“The Selangor Survey and Mapping Department is in the process of plotting the coordinates,” he said.
Nor Zamri added that inspections were carried out at random on either side of the rivers where industries were located.
He was commenting on reports that the Sungai Semenyih water treatment plant in Dengkil had to be shut down three times last week due to an unidentified smell in the raw water originating from the river.
The three shutdowns were from Sept 22 to Sept 24 affecting over 330,000 premises in Petaling Jaya, Hulu Langat, Kuala Langat and Sepang districts.
Supply had resumed in half the affected areas while the others would see their water reconnected in stages.
“To ensure drinking water sources are protected from contamination, we keep a log of water bodies,” said Nor Zamri.
He assured that constant monitoring and investigations were carried out, both scheduled and non-scheduled, to ensure the water sources were protected.
“To protect our rivers, we have formed the River Basin Management Committee, River Basin Task Force Committee and Water Source Pollution Emergency Committee.
“All three committees will ensure effluents do not pollute our rivers and to have good quality water,” he added.
Meanwhile, residents affected by the water supply disruption in several areas in Petaling, Hulu Langat, Sepang and Kuala Langat struggled for days with dry taps.
Taman OUG resident Chin Keat Chyuan, a 43-year-old managing director, was having a tough time coping without water since the weekend as he had a family of six.
“We cannot cook and yet we worry about eating out because the eateries will also be affected by the water disruption.
“We cannot store water for too long, especially with the fear of mosquitoes and Zika virus,” he said, hoping the public could have been forewarned of the disruption to give them enough time to make preparation.
Bandar Puteri Puchong resident Dr Kow Cheong Wei, who has been without running water for four days, said he had resorted to showering at the clubhouse or at the R&R stops along Kesas.
“I have to drive there and pay toll just to shower.
“We eat out and wash our clothes at the laundry shop.
“I have bought several 5.5l water bottles for consumption,” he said.
He called Syabas and was told that supply would resume on Sunday 6pm but was later told it would be 6am on Monday.
“However, until now (3pm yesterday) supply has yet to resume,” he said.
USJ 11 resident Sharon Foo said it felt like they were being teased as the water supply was not constant since last Tuesday.
“Water supply resumed last Wednesday and was interrupted the next day; we do not know when the supply will be back for good,” she said.
Worse, she was appalled to discover foul smell from the tap when supply resumed.
“At first we thought it was the toilet but after cleaning, we could still smell the odour.
“We finally realised it was the water,” said Foo, adding that the water pressure was low and there was sediment.
“We only use the water and also rainwater we collected for washing and cleaning, not for drinking or cooking,” she said.
She downloaded the mySYABAS app and said it was useful in providing up-to-date information.
Another resident Mary Pereira said residents had to put up with the frequent water cuts and lack of notice.
“About 10 days ago, residents received a note about a two-day water cut.
Since then, however, water supply had been disrupted at least twice with the current cut being the third, she said.
“The point is that apart from the first notice, there has been no other warning given to the residents about a pending water cut.
“We do not know why this is happening and we are uncertain if this is going to continue,” she added.
According to the water supply restoration status report by Syabas, as of 1pm yesterday, 71% had been restored in Petaling, 79% in Hulu Langat, 99.6% in Sepang, and 97% in Kuala Langat.
Get the latest water supply status via “mySYABAS” smart phone application and at www.syabas.com.my
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!