OUTGOING Perak crime investigation department chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Goh Kok Liang was surprised when deputy Perak police chief Deputy Comm Hasnan Hassan made a revelation about him.
Having gotten into a serious accident at Kota Baru in 1978, SAC Goh was stuck inside a wreckage and it was DCP Hasnan who rescued him.
They were both young rookies at that time and SAC Goh had only learnt about the identity of his “saviour” during the handover of duty ceremony at the state police contingent headquarters on Friday.
“I was a traffic policeman then and had gotten an emergency call from my boss about the accident,” DCP Hasnan said.
“When I reached there, I saw SAC Goh was badly hurt in the accident,” he said in his speech after witnessing a handover ceremony between SAC Goh and acting state CID chief Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat.
“I pulled him out and got him into an ambulance that had just arrived. The medical officers were saying there was a 50% chance of survival,” he said.
“I am glad that he pulled through. I wish him a long life,” he added.
SAC Goh, 60, officially retired after serving the police force for 41 years.
Hailing from Kedah, the father of three was the officer-in-charge at the Kuala Lumpur court before his promotion as the state CID chief in June last year.
He was also a former Hilir Perak OCPD and he had served in various postings, including a prosecutor and a lecturer at the police college.
DCP Hasnan said 40 years was not a short period and SAC Goh had contributed much to the police force.
He also said that he had a “history” with SAC Goh that not many people knew about.
“We knew each other since 1978 when we were both stationed at Kota Baru.
“We kind of had a group we called ‘Group Kelate’ with several others there,” he said.
“When we work, we really work hard and we also play just as hard,” he added.
SAC Goh said he plans to take a break for a while.
“I will return to Kuala Lumpur where my family is currently residing.
“I have thought about taking up chambering or joining the corporate world if there are good offers,” he said.
When asked about the memorable moments he experienced throughout his career, SAC Goh said he was proud to have been appointed as the head of a task force to investigate the mass burial incident at Wang Kelian last year.
He also said the gruesome murder cases, in which four victims were believed to have been killed in a workshop in Tapah, have also been etched into his mind.
In his speech, SAC Goh also thanked the police leadership for the opportunity to lead the CID, though it was for a short term.
“I hope all policemen will continue to serve the people.
“After today, I will become a normal citizen,” he said.
“But like they say, once a policeman, always a policeman, so I will continue to assist in any way I can if needed,” he added.