In the dark about funding for flyovers


While residents are happy to hear that traffic issues will be resolved, they want the accounts of the project to be revealed.

AS the plan for the traffic dispersal system in Kota Kemuning finally takes shape, concerned parties are questioning who will fund the construction of the three flyovers.

On April 18, StarMetro had reported that the entire plan, that will be completed in three phases, will cost approximately RM100mil.

Residents have long asked the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) to get the developers in the township to contribute as their development projects would benefit from it.

MBSA had also previously admitted to having discussions with the developers to obtain funding from them but no agreed amount had been disclosed so far.

While residents were elated that an end to their traffic woes was near, they hoped the accounts and the amount of money channelled by the developers would be disclosed to the public.

Anggerik Oncidium resident Richard Ng said it would be best to understand the mechanism of the cash flow and contributions from developers.

“It would be better if they disclose the information because everybody is wondering about the amount they will be contributing,” he added.

StarMetro’s report on April 18.

Ng said the flyovers, which were part of the township’s master plan, was supposed to be built by the previous developer, but was shelved.

Residents were initially unhappy to hear that MBSA would bear the cost of building the flyovers using taxpayers’ money.

Kota Raja Wanita MCA chief Chew Soo Mee said if MBSA disclosed the amount, it would be easier for her to request for funds from the Federal Government as well.

She planned to send in the request as soon as possible but did not know the amount of funds involved.

“It is best to know the exact amount for us to submit a written request,” she added.

Chew also hoped to get a response from the Federal Government on the allocation within three months.

Zone 26 Residents’ Representative Committee member Goh Siow Yen hoped MBSA would keep to the proposed schedule of the roadworks that was expected to start by the year end.

He said the council should keep track of the works and periodically have meetings with the residents to discuss the schedule.

Kota Kemuning Residents’ Association secretary Vivian Khoo hoped there would be adequate enforcement for the new traffic plan that would include new traffic lights at three main junctions along Persiaran Anggerik Vanilla.

She said there had to be enforcement to ensure residents did not beat the traffic lights or make illegal turns and cause more accidents.

There had been numerous life-threatening incidents along the stretch that had left people seriously injured, added Khoo.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers