CONTRACTOR Goh Yok Huat (pic), 51, was diagnosed with dengue, and died four days later.
His family members, living in a fifth floor flat in Taman Dedap, Butterworth, are still clueless as to how he got the disease which was diagnosed on Jan 26.
Toh Hooi Kean, 49, said her husband was a healthy man and the family kept their house dry and clean all the time.
“On Jan 25, he came back from work in the evening and complained of fever and dizziness.
“I prepared dinner for him but he vomited everything out. We then brought him to a clinic and the doctor said Goh could have dengue.
“The next morning, I took him to a private hospital and he was warded after he was confirmed to have the disease.
“His condition worsened and on Jan 30, he passed away,” she said, adding that the family was still in a shock over the death.
Goh leaves behind three sons, Jia Wen, 27, Kah Seng, 24, and Kah Keat, 20.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, who also visited the family on Saturday, urged the public to ensure that their surroundings were clean.
“If residents can conduct a gotong royong at least once a month and clear the rubbish in their area as mosquito larvae can even thrive in a spoonful of water, I am sure that the number of dengue cases will fall.”
Also present were Seberang Jaya assemblyman Dr Afif Bahardin, Bagan Jermal assemblyman Lim Hock Seng and north Seberang Prai Epidemiology Department health officer Dr Norsilah Sudin.
According to a report by the state Health Department, Penang recorded 107 dengue cases from Feb 7 to Feb 13, a 40.6% drop if compared with 180 dengue cases from Jan 31 to Feb 6.
But cumulatively until Feb 13 this year, there has been 1,014 dengue fever cases with nine deaths reported compared with 908 cases and two deaths last year in the same corresponding period.
In Butterworth, three deaths have been reported this year.