Dengue survivor loses brother to disease

(From right) Danish, his brother Muhammad Aliff Nazmie Alias,14, father Alias and mother Zuraini showing their family photo which includes Danial.

COLLEGE student Mohd Danish Alias, 19, recovered from dengue but his 20-year-old brother was not as fortunate.

Danish was diagnosed with dengue at the end of December last year and subsequently recovered.

It turned out to be a temporary relief for the family of five when the eldest son, Muhammad Danial, who worked as a mechanic, was also diagnosed with the disease on Jan 25 and died four days later.

“He started out with fever. He went to the hospital but it could not be diagnosed immediately. When his fever spiked up to 46 degrees two days later, he was admitted and tested positive for dengue.

“He never recovered and passed away a few days later,” Danish said yesterday when Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng visited the family at the Bandar Baru Air Itam police quarters in Penang where they live.

Penangs south-west district heath office public health assistant Mohd Zahari Zakariah holding a bottle containing mosquito larvae (note-not confirmed aedes larvae yet) which were found in a scrap yard in Balik Pulau yesterday Feb 18 Starpic by: CHIN CHENG YEANG/The Star/18-02-2016
Penang’s southwest district health office public health assistant Mohd Zahari Zakariah holding a bottle containing mosquito larvae found in a scrapyard in Balik Pulau. ]

His mother, Zuraini Ya’acob, 50, said Danial still joked with them after he was admitted.

“He seemed not to feel any pain. He was a happy person and loved eating, especially my fried rice,” said Zuraina, who is saddened by the loss of her eldest child.

Her husband Alias Ishak, 49, is a policeman.

Danish said the community needed to work together to get rid of the dengue scourge.

Lim handed a RM1,000 contribution from his office to the family during the visit.

Also present were state police chief Comm Datuk Abdul Ghafar Rajab and George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash Wahid.

Dengue also infected three factory workers as well.

Rubber factory general manager Gurdial Singh, 57, said three of his foreign workers, all in their 20s, were diagnosed with the disease over the past two weeks.

“This is the first time I encountered such a situation since I joined the company 20 years ago,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Related stories:

Dengue rears ugly head

Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Stories You'll Enjoy