Call to flush out illegal foreign traders at Selayang market


  • Community
  • Wednesday, 20 Jan 2016

Saravanan (in black) visiting traders at the Selayang wholesale market visit on Monday . — BRIAN MOH/ The Star

The authorities should have joint operations to weed out illegal foreigners trading in the Selayang wholesale market.

Federal Territory MIC chief Datuk M. Saravanan said he also wants Indian traders to be allowed to enter the wholesale market following an alleged brawl between them and foreign traders last week.

Saravanan led a group of MIC leaders to discuss the safety of the traders at the market on Monday. Also present was Sentul OCPD Asst Comm R. Munusamy.

“I want City Hall and police to conduct raids on illegal foreign traders doing business by the roadside outside the market area immediately and seize their goods.

“Many Indian traders were not allowed to enter the wholesale market due to tight security, I will talk to DBKL and the police to give them access to the market immediately,” he said, calling for the authorities to hold talks with the traders association on problems they faced at the market.

“Besides this, I will also give RM10,000 aid to those who were hurt in the brawl,’’ said Saravanan, who is also Deputy Youth and Sports Minister.

Currently, police personnel were stationed at the Selayang wholesale market to maintain security after several attacks in the area.

ACP Munusamy said police had detained 75 people following the attacks.

He advised the Indian traders not to retaliate as police investigation was on-going.

“We urge the public not to spread false information as it can stir unrest.

“Security will remain tight at all times. Policemen have been stationed round the clock at the market police beat base,’’ he said.

Following investigation, a 20-year-old man was arrested over a drive-by shooting at the market last Wednesday, where a 34-year-old man and a two-year-old boy were injured.

ACP Munusamy said the suspect was arrested in Batu Caves the next day.

In the 10pm incident, five men in two cars fired randomly at the crowd before fleeing, hitting the two victims, both from Myanmar.

The victims, are being treated at Selayang Hospital and are in stable condition.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online