NUSAJAYA: The Johor government has squashed talk that the state would break away from Malaysia.
Johor State Secretary Datuk Ismail Karim said that a separation was not possible due to the agreement made between the state and Federal Government.
"It would be almost impossible for the state to leave Malaysia as a lot of procedures are needed.
“I hope that there will not be any more speculation about Johor exiting Malaysia," he told reporters in a press conference held at Bangunan Dato Jaafar Muhammad.
Talk surfaced following a viral screen capture carrying alleged instructions by the Johor Crown Prince decreeing the Jalur Gemilang in Johor be taken down.
The statement, signed by Segamat district officer Ahmad Main on Sept 17, alleged that Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim had decreed for the country’s flags to be replaced as the National Day celebration had ended.
The State Secretary said Ahmad had misinterpreted Tunku Ismail’s decree.
Ismail clarified that the circular referred to small-sized flags and other flag decorations on buildings, roadsides and also those hung on fences to mark National Day and did not refer to the Jalur Gemilang or flags hoisted on government offices and departments as well as flagpoles..
The one-page circular bears the district office letterhead and is titled Pemasangan Bendera Daerah Menggantikan Jalur Gemilang (Replacement of the Jalur Gemilang with district flags).
Ismail also said that there were several protocols to be adhered to by all parties when putting up flags for any celebration or occasion as stated in the state government circular 2/2013.
In the press conference, he also explained that out of 10 district flags in the state, only three had been gazetted, which are Muar, Batu Pahat and Segamat while the remaining district flags would be gazetted soon.
“We will inform all parties on the protocol to be observed soon,” he said, adding that the other seven district flags were officially revealed during the Sultan of Johor’s Coronation Day earlier this year.