THERE were 77 flood-prone areas in Selangor as of Aug 16 with 95 flood incidents recorded.
Of the number, 20 were new flood areas, said state Infrastructure Committee chairman Zaidy Abdul Talib.
He, however, added that none of the state’s primary rivers had exceeded the danger level.
“These are all flash floods caused by problems with the internal drainage and retention ponds,” he said in reply to Datuk Mohd Shamsudin Lias (BN-Sungai Burong) who asked on the flood situation in the state.
Problems with the internal drainage, Zaidy said, was caused by poor maintenance, adding that the authorities concerned had been reprimanded.
“The drainage plan is also old and cannot cope with weather changes. We get 60mm rainfall for one to three hours at a stretch, which exceeds our drainage capacity,” said Zaidy.
He also said a proposal had been submitted for the Malaysian Road Records Information System (Marris), that the budget be used to upgrade and improve current drainage plans to better suit the new rainfall level.
On retention ponds, he said 304 were maintained by different authorities and private developers.
“We decided in a meeting in June this year that all ponds would be maintained by the state Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID).
“DID will dredge and deepen 84 ponds at a cost of RM6.7mil,” said Zaidy.
The 20 new flood-hit areas had ongoing developments with retention ponds to be maintained by the developers before being handed over to the state.
State Transport Committee chairman Datuk Teng Chang Khim said the state government would complete the interim report of its Selangor Master Transportation Plan by November.
Replying to Shahrum Mohd Sharif (BN-Dengkil), he said the state government was aware of public transport issues in Selangor which included high private vehicle ownership, low area of coverage for bus and rail services and the low level of support services for both modes.
The master plan, as previously announced, was intended to achieve a public-private transport ratio of 60:40.
In the same vein, yesterday also saw the launch of the “Bas Selangorku” logo by Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali.
Revealing the ridership for July, Teng said there were 26,709 for Shah Alam; 19,669 in Subang Jaya and 6,821 in Klang.
“Taking into account less travels during the Hari Raya holiday week, these numbers are very encouraging,” he added.
Phase 2 of the Bus Selangorku would see Ampang Jaya and Kajang municipalities getting their own routes as well.