SIBU: Since its inception in 2003, the grand finale of the annual Borneo Cultural Festival had been on Sunday.
This year, the organiser – Sibu Municipal Council – opted for a change where the grand finale would be on a Saturday in- stead.
Council deputy chairman Datuk Andrew Wong told a press conference recently that the change was made following the feedback from the public including those involved in the final night.
“The people told us that the previous grand finales on Sunday used to end up past midnight and it was very challenging for them as they had to work the next day,” he added.
With the change now, this year’s BCF would take place from July 30 to Aug 8.
Wong said like last year, there would be four pavillions of the Chinese, Malay-Melanau, Dayak and Youth Pavillion.
“Cityvine company would occupy Phase Two of the Town Square for trade and exhibition where there will be a total of 110 booths. There will be a Youth Talent Award show, exhibition of motor vehicles and food stalls,” he added.
Meanwhile, he appealed to the public going to the BCF to avoid parking their vehicles illegaly at the Town Square area.
He warned that summons would be issued to those parking indiscriminately.
“We advise the people to instead park their cars at the parking lot of Rejang Port Authority which is open from 6.30pm onwards daily,” he said.