STERN action will be taken against contractors found to be negligent, says Kuala Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Ahmad Phesal Talib.
He was commenting on Friday’s incident where an Indonesian man was crushed by a pedestrian bridge under construction that collapsed in Jalan Genting Klang, Setapak.
Ahmad Phesal said a stop-work order had been issued pending investigation into the collapse.
“We will look into the matter comprehensively as Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) is in the midst of several similar projects in the city.
“Also, as this particular project was requested by the community there, we have to make sure that the amenities are safe,” he said during a bubur lambuk cooking and distribution programme at Dataran DBKL yesterday.
During the event, some 300 DBKL employees, together with representatives from the Masjid Kampung Baru, cooked up a storm in conjunction with Ramadan.
The volunteers cooked 30 pots of bubur lambuk which were distributed to the public along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman later in the day.
Also present were Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, his wife Datin Seri Anggraini, DBKL deputy director-general of project implementation and maintenance Datuk Najib Mohd and DBKL Culture, Arts and Sports Department director Idzawi Raja Ismail.