The joint venture agreement between the Selangor Development Corporation (PKNS) and developer Melati Ehsan to develop the Kelana Jaya SS7 sports field is problematic, said Kelana Jaya MP Wong Chen in a press statement today.
Wong said that he, together with Seri Setia assemblyman Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, had met with PKNS last Friday to view a copy of the agreement.
He noted that there is a provision for the Selangor Mentri Besar to terminate the joint venture “for the sake of national interest”.
Both MP and assemblyman have requested that PKNS perform a complete legal review of the agreement and further advise the former on their legal position.
This comes with the added demand for the legal opinion to be completed within 14 days, after which, Wong intends to seek a meeting with Mentri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali on the issue.
“We have also informed our Petaling Jaya City Council representatives and all city councillors to be on alert and not support any development order on this matter,” Wong’s press statement stated.
Back in 2011, the field, which had been designated as green space, was the subject of controversy after the discovery that it had been rezoned from recreational to commercial in MBPJ's PJ Local Plan city blueprint.
This discovery, along with other discrepancies inside the city blueprints, triggered a hearing by the Selangor government’s Select Committee on Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) in 2012.
While several instances of gross negligence were highlighted, no culprit was ever singled out, much less punished.
Many local residents thought the matter over, until earlier this year, it was announced in a financial daily that Melati Ehsan was banking on the field's redevelopment to provide about RM2bil to its earnings.