SIX dengue-related deaths were reported in Penang this year and the number of cases in the state from Jan 1 to May 9 saw a sharp increase of 175% or 1,165 cases compared with the same period last year.
State Agriculture, Agro-based Industry, Rural Development and Health Committee chairman Dr Afif Bahardin said there were 1,890 dengue cases this year compared with 665 cases and three deaths in the same period last year.
“There were three uncontrolled outbreak localities in Jalan Pasar, Jalan Perak and Lengkok Hijau in the northeast district and 30 controlled outbreak localities statewide,” he told a press conference at the state assembly building yesterday.
Dr Afif said if a locality had no new dengue cases within 14 days, it was considered a controlled outbreak locality.
“If a new case is reported after more than two weeks but less than a month, it is considered an uncontrolled outbreak locality.
“If there are still new cases after more than 30 days, it is considered a hotspot.
“The state Health Department is now conducting Ops Tapak Bina on construction sites in George Town.
“If a construction site is found to be a breeding ground, the developer will be issued a stop-work order and given two weeks to clean up the area.
“On Monday, the department inspected nine sites in George Town.
“Three fines were issued and two sites were ordered to stop work after massive mosquito breeding grounds were found.”
Dr Afif added that inspections were also conducted at 40 cemeteries in the state some time ago and one notice and two fines were issued.
“A Program Gotong Royong Penang Sihat will be held at 40 spots in the state (20 on the island and 20 on the mainland) on Sunday from 9am to noon.
“The programme will be held simultaneously but the opening ceremony will be held in Taman Indah, Batu Maung,” he said.