Johor records 55% increase in worksite fatalities


JOHOR BARU: Johor has recorded a jump of 55% in fatality cases at working sites within the last two years.

State Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) director Kormain Mohd Noor said in 2013 alone there were 28 deaths involving workers at sites.

He pointed out that last year, about 63 cases were reported with the construction sector contributing the highest with 28 while manufacturing sector recorded 17 cases.

“Last year, DOSH had prosecuted a total of 44 employers and fined them a total of RM606,800. They also issued 129 compounds worth more than RM275,500.

“This is a slight increase as about 32 employers were brought to court and fined totalling about RM408,500 in 2013 alone,” he said.

He said this when met after attending a compliance workshop for metal industry held at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) on April 22.

Kormain added that companies, especially those that involved in manufacturing and construction sectors, should provide a better working environment for their workers.

He also said that this was due to the lack of safety awareness that had caused the number of deaths to jump within the last two years.

“I believe that many things should be fixed, especially the enforcement side by the companies where they should install preventive culture among their workers to avoid unnecessary accidents from happening.

“DOSH targets to reduce the number of accidents at working sites to 2.15 cases by 2020. We will continue to engage with the relevant players to ensure that this can be done,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->