Proprietors claim big losses


Voicing their grouses: Puah discussing with some of the poultry suppliers on the closure of the slaughterhouse located near Pandan during a press conference.

JOHOR BARU: A group of poultry suppliers are up in arms with the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) for shutting down a slaughterhouse here without any notice causing losses in business.

The suppliers alleged that close to RM200,000 worth of stock had been held back following the closure and incurred additional losses of up to 60%.

GT Cold Storage Trading proprietor Ooi Lee Ching said not only did she lose some 10,000 of her chicken stock when the place was shut down on Feb 11 but she had to bare additional cost of up to 50% transportation, overtime payments for workers as well as dead fowls as they were kept in cages for hours before they are slaughtered and processed in a another slaughterhouse in Pekan Nenas.

The nearest slaughter house is in Pekan Nenas, Pontian, which is about 50km from here where the Pusat Penyembelihan dan Pemprosesan Ayam (3P) Sdn Bhd is located.

“Business has been adversely affected as I have lost close to 30% of my customers due to the downgrade in the quality of the chicken supply,” she told reporters at a press conference here on Wednesday.

Taming Sari Trading proprietor Hafidzul Muhammad said that his profits dropped by at least 60% and he had to terminate some of his workers following the incident.

“Due to lack of slaughterhouse, I am now forced to supply cleaned chicken to my customers,” he said adding that he also lost of his customers, as the chickens were no longer tagged with the “halal” logo.

A total of six suppliers voiced out their dissatisfaction over the matter, questioning the reason for the MBJB to shut the slaughterhouse without proper justification during the press conference organised by Bukit Batu assemblyman Jimmy Puan Wee Tse.

“The local council should hold a discussions with the affected traders and come up with a better solution if the closure of the place was deemed necessary,” he said, urging the council to reopen the slaughterhouse until the situation is solved amicably.

When contacted, Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) public relations officer Mohd Firdaus Abdul Hamid said that the agreement between the council and the 3P slaughterhouse had ended.

“We sent out a notice to remind the owner three-months before the agreement expired that the council would not be renewing the contract,” he said adding that owner had ample time to inform the suppliers about it.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy