Penang seeks public feedback on RM3mil upgrade of 100-yr-old market


Seeking views: Council president Datuk Patahiyah Ismail (pink tudung) and Chow (middle, white) discussing the market upgrade with traders and the public at the Campbell Street Market. (Below) An artist’s impression of the market facade after the upgrading.

THE more than 100-year-old Campbell Street market, being one of the oldest markets in George Town, will be upgraded at a cost of RM3mil.

State Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow said the Penang Women Development Corporation (PWDC) had been appointed as the agency to carry out a survey from the public and traders on the project.

“The survey is to obtain public feedback on the proposal of the upgrading works.

“There will be four stages in the survey and it will be conducted in four languages namely Bahasa Melayu, English, Chinese and Tamil,” he said before launching the survey at the market in Campbell Street yesterday.

PWDC will hold the survey from March to June.

Chow said the Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) would also conduct its own survey to obtain public feedback.

The survey started yesterday and will be carried out until the end of April.

Among the upgrading works proposed are the repair of the market’s roof, to rearrange and upgrade the interior, to upgrade the piping and drainage system and others.

PWDC board of directors committee member Dr Cecilia Ng said the four stages of the survey were census, focus group discussion, dialogue with the community and detailed planning of the project.

There are 52 licensed traders operating at the market currently.

The market is located within the buffer zone of the George Town Unesco World Heritage Site and is a Category 2 heritage building.

Campbell Street market was built in the 1900s on a piece of land which was formerly a Muslim cemetery.

The Municipal Commissioner bought the land in 1899 for the purpose of building a market.

It was reported on Feb 18 that the market would be closed for upgrading works in June.

Tanjong MP Ng Wei Aik had said that the market would be closed for 18 months.

He had declined to reveal further details about the project.

Ng however, had said that there was a proposal to develop the market as a major tourist destination, with the heritage aspects of the place being retained as the site is located in the George Town heritage enclave.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers