PASIR GUDANG: Workers at a factory near the Tanjung Langsat Industrial Area say smog from a burnt landfill is affecting their health.
Bahru Stainless Sdn Bhd CEO Oswald Wolfe said that the polluted air was causing breathing difficulties and poor visibility.
The factory is adjacent to the landfill which caught fire almost two weeks ago.
“We have to provide the security guards with oxygen masks since the landfill caught fire on Feb 12,” said Wolfe.
He added the company was also concerned as the factory is has natural gas pipelines as well as acid and diesel tanks.
“We have some 400 workers and the wind blows the smog directly into the factory premises,” he said.
Wolfe claimed that the company had lodged a complaint with the Fire and Rescue and Environment departments on the day of the fire.
“I believe that more measures should be taken as soon as possible to remedy the situation,” he added.
Wolfe also said that it was not the first time the landfill had caught fire, claiming that it had happened in February and October last year.
When contacted, Pasir Gudang Municipal Council president Md Za’nal Misran said they have been spraying water at the landfill.
“We have also put 400 lorry-loads of sand at the landfill to put out the fire,” he said, adding the situation was improving.