KUCHING: The Federal Government is spending about RM7.5mil on cash aid for Sarawak’s flood victims.
Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said 15,116 households in the state, which had been registered as flood affected, would receive RM500 each.
Muhyiddin said a total of 14,996 people were evacuated in Sarawak since late last month, involving about 4,000 households.
At the same time, about 58,000 people more from 11,000 familieswere also affected by floods but did not evacuate. These households would also received the RM500 cash aid.
He said the last of the flood aids would be distributed in Sibu by March 10. Nationwide, the government’s cash contributions to flooded households totalled RM40mil.
Besides that, an estimated RM150milwould be spent on rebuilding houses in the worst affected states, including Kelantan, Muhyiddin said at the Bau Civic Centre, about 30km from here, where he and other Sarawak government leaders were handing out the cash aid.
Muhyiddin was in Sarawak for a two-day visit.
On Thursday, at Kampung Teng Bukap, about 60km from the city centre, Muhyiddin had announced RM68mil in development funds for the rural areas.
He promised that a RM60mil upgrade to Jalan Padawan – currently a country road where at least three landslides had occurred last month – would be approved.
“I will tell the Works Ministry to include this upgrade into the list of development projects for the 11th Malaysia Plan,” Muhyiddin had told the villagers.
“As the Education Minister, I will also approve an RM8mil upgrade for SMK Padawan. I saw the school, which looked okay to me, but we’ll still upgrade it. Education is important.”