More choices for the people


New homes coming up: Engineer Yoong Ming Leong (in red), 32, attending the registration of the Ramah Pavillion project at Menara Penang Garden in Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah.

NEW applicants wanting a unit under the state’s affordable housing schemes can now choose the project they are interested in, said state Housing, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo.

“Before, an applicant could not choose to register for a particular project but now he or she can do so,” he said, adding that the same rule applied to future housing projects.

Jagdeep said existing applicants who had yet to be offered units could also write in to the state Housing Department to state their preferred project, and the department would attach these letters to the original application forms and documents.

“The Penang government’s ‘Mission: Home Possible’ programme has also been extended to private firms which have 100% affordable housing projects,” he told a press conference at the registration of the Ramah Pavillion project by M Summit Corporation Sdn Bhd at Menara Penang Garden in Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah.

Jagdeep said the engagement with the private sector was to educate the public on the state’s existing affordable housing projects and to encourage more to apply.

“Applicants can register with the developers.

“Then, the developers will forward the completed forms to the state Housing Department for vetting purposes in order to ascertain the eligibility of the applicants.

“Those who are interested inthe projects are encouraged to attend the on-site registration roadshows by the private developers.

“Officials from the Housing Department will be present at these roadshows answer queries from the public.

“The registration exercise undertaken on-site by the department and by those developers acknowledged by the state does not call for any payment whatsoever.

“It is free and intended to ascertain the eligibility of applicants,” Jagdeep said.

M Summit Group managing director Datuk Albert Moh said there were 759 affordable units for the Ramah Pavillion project in Teluk Kumbar.

He said 208 applicants had already been vetted for the project.

“About 15% of the 759 units have been taken up by those eligible, leaving about 85% available,” Moh said at the recent event which saw the signing of the sales and purchase agreements and balloting for the project.

Also present was Tanjong MP Ng Wei Aik.

The on-site registration for Ramah Pavillion is at the Balik Pulau Market (Feb 7, 8, 28 and March 1) and the Bayan Baru Market (Feb 11, 12, 13, 24, 25 and 26).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers