THE Selangor Immigration Department says third-party involvement is strongly discouraged as it is unfair to those who have been waiting in the queue.
An official for the department told StarMetro that the department was unable to stop employers from queuing up outside their office from a day earlier.
“We have taken various measures to prevent third parties,’’ he said, adding the department would not hesitate to act against unscrupulous people who collect money from the public.
He was responding to claims that touts were dictating the process by enabling employers who pay for their numbers to beat the queue to obtain documentation for their foreign workers.
He said an official complaint should be lodged with the department before any action could be taken.
He said the practice of queuing up outside their office a day earlier had been going on for some time.
“We are aware of the presence of a long queue of people waiting outside our office during the night and wee hours of the morning.
“However, we cannot stop people from doing this as our role only starts once they arrive at the counters to collect their numbers,’’ he said
The official said the employers and their representatives had resorted to queuing up overnight as they feared the numbers would run out.
“Only a limited amount of numbers are given out every day based on staff manpower,’’ he said.
The official also said that the introduction of the MyEG Services Bhd online system by the department from this month for renewal of foreign workers permits was aimed at easing congestion.
However, following protests, employers now have the option of renewing work permits of their foreign workers at Immigration counters but only until Feb 28.
This followed unhappiness expressed by employers and other groups who had been forced to renew permits online via MyEG for an extra RM38 fee.