ELECTED representatives and community leaders in Shah Alam are throwing their support behind Kota Kemuning residents over the proposed flyover that has been left out of the Shah Alam Local Draft Plan 2020.
Sri Muda assemblyman Shuhaimi Shafiei said he had been following the case of the flyover that was originally in the Kota Kemuning development blueprint.
StarMetro highlighted the issue in “Change in plan shocks residents” on Tuesday after residents queried why the infrastructure was not included in the latest amendment of the Draft Plan.
The flyover was part of Kota Kemuning’s masterplan in 1996 as a future project to ease congestion in the area and was proposed to be built over Persiaran Anggerik Mokara.
Shuhaimi said he had raised the issue at the Selangor State Assembly and was given the same answer that the residents received.
“I brought up the issue in the state assembly several times, most recently during the last sitting in March 2014.
“I received a letter citing several reasons including the lack of road length for the ramp and the reduced traffic volume,” he said.
When asked if he felt there was a necessity for the flyover, he said yes.
He added that there was a basis for the residents’ request and intended to take up the issue with Shah Alam City Council (MBSA), urging the authorities to study the problem further for a better solution.
“I hope MBSA will review the situation again and provide the access that was promised,” said Shuhaimi.
Former MBSA councillor Tan Ah Kow said he had brought up the objection during the 2012 Local Draft Plan amendment.
“Consequently we managed to retain the reserve land status instead of it being converted into a green lung like the council had wanted,” he added.
Tan, whose tenure ended last month, said the council should conduct a study to reinstate the flyover plan since it was a condition for development approval.
He said traffic condition had worsened in recent years.
He pointed out that the flyover would allow vehicles from Kesas and Kemuning-Shah Alam Highway (LKSA) heading into the township’s commercial centre to bypass the first roundabout. This, he explained, would reduce the traffic along the main thoroughfare, Persiaran Anggerik Vanilla.
“This way, Canal Garden residents will be able to access their neighbourhood via Persiaran Anggerik Malaxis instead of making a difficult U-turn in front the newly opened Gamuda Walk,” he added.
Tan said the flyover was long overdue.
Kota Raja Wanita MCA chief Chew Soo Mee said the issue was also discussed during her tenure as MBSA councillor, whose area was Kota Kemuning.
She said during the time of Barisan Nasional-led Selangor Government, the issue was raised by the state govermment and provisions for the flyover were included.
“This issue was again brought up three years ago at the MCA dialogue with the residents associations in Kota Kemuning and MBSA.
“The council officers assured us that the flyover would be built,” she said.
“It is disappointing that nothing has been done yet, and I am surprised by the news of the flyover missing from the amended plans.
Chew said the traffic impact assessment (TIA) that MBSA conducted was only delaying a plan that had already been decided a long time ago.
“The delay is only making things worse,” she added.