War on dengue


THE Penang government will carry out mass gotong- royong activities to be held simultaneously in 40 areas on Jan 25 in a move to combat the alarming rise in dengue cases.

State Agriculture, Agro-based Industry, Rural Development and Health Committee chairman Dr Afif Bahardin said the Gotong-Royong Penang Sihat programme would be staged in 20 areas on Penang island and another 20 in Seberang Prai.

“We recorded 130 dengue cases from Jan 4 to Jan 10 this year compared with only 57 during the same period last year. This year, we have two deaths compared with none last year,” Dr Afif told a press conference in Komtar.

Dr Afif said every resident should take individual measures to keep their premises clean and the effort should be continued as the number of cases reported seemed to be increasing although measures were taken to counter the disease.

He urged residents to give their full cooperation to health officials when fogging activities were done in their neighbourhoods and to use repellents and mosquito nets when necessary.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers