THE new Subang Jaya Municipal Council president plans to go to the ground to get a better feel of problems in the area.
“We cannot just rely on reports from technical staff, we have to go and see the problem for ourselves.
“After I received the mandate on Dec 24 last year to take over as MPSJ president, I spent time observing the situation in the municipality.
“I had to divide my time between Gombak (as he was still the Gombak district officer) and Subang Jaya.
“I also went to Serdang during the recent floods.
“We have to work with relevant agencies such as the Drainage and Irrigation Department,” said Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan after being sworn in as council president at the MPSJ headquarters yesterday.
He wants to make more site visits to understand the problems in the municipality better.
In 2013, MPSJ received a five-star rating but Nor Hisham is not one to rest on his laurels.
“There are still problems such as rubbish in the back alleys of restaurants, clogged drains, traffic congestion, lack of parking especially in Taipan USJ, waste collection, spoilt streetlights and other facilities as well as potholes that keep reappearing.
“We should also look into improving the quality of life of those living in low-cost houses and ensure they receive aid,” he said.
Nor Hisham said education and enforcement were key to changing the public’s mindset.
“Now, we are only using enforcement, but educating the public is important too.”
He plans to meet with Syarikat Prasarana Negara Bhd to discuss ways to reduce the problem caused by ongoing construction work for the LRT extension project.
“Hopefully, we can find ways to prevent flash floods and prevent potholes,” he added.
Biodata of Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan
Birthdate: May 23, 1956
Past work experience:
- 1980 UiTM assistant librarian
- 1981 Civil Service Department
- 1989 Selangor state government administration secretary for Gombak land and district office
- 1993 Civil Service Department
- 1995 National Housing Department assistant director
- 2004 Economic Planning Unit in the Prime Minister’s Department
- 2004 Education Ministry assistant chief secretary
- 2006 Assistant deputy director for development in the Federal Territories Ministry
- 2007 Selangor government administration secretary for Hulu Selangor district office
- 2012-2014 Gombak district officer