For the upcoming Raya, one needs to be sensible to the fashion no-nos. Here are five handy tips.
HARI Raya is just around the corner, and many of us will be looking forward to visiting friends and family and celebrating this season with them.
Then there is, of course, the matter of what to wear to an open house – a safe choice would be a kebaya or kurung, but not everyone has these in their wardrobe. There are plenty of ways to style yourself in regular, commercial clothes, but plenty of things to bear in mind as well.
Don’t fret about looking too gaudy or old-fashioned, because as long as you know how to style yourself for the occasion, you can look just as good as the next girl in a baju kurung.
Here are five tips on what not to wear for Raya visiting:
1) While you may be comfortable wearing whatever you like, you should always be respectful to your hosts – ditch the skin-baring outfits for more conservative clothing. Instead of halter tops, strapless dresses and miniskirts, opt for longer sleeves and skirts or pants.
2) Showing bare skin is one thing, but also be mindful of transparent or sheer clothing – these are out of the question! However, there are some pretty fashionable sheer choices out there, so make sure you wear a suitable undergarment (petticoats, undershirts) to avoid any awkward “exposure”.
3) Avoid being too flashy or radical – sure, cutouts, shredded hemlines and fishnet stockings look good in magazines, but you’ll end up feeling like you’re getting a little too much of the wrong attention if you turn up in them at an open house.
4) Go easy on the make-up. It may be on all day, so be sure to put on something that will be easy to touch up. Try to avoid dark eyeshadow as this will probably run, along with eyeliner and thick mascara.
5) When choosing colours and fabric, choose wisely. Going from house to house, especially in our tropical climate, makes for a lot of sweating, so make sure you’re in breatheable material. Avoid garments that may show sweat stains, or crease easily when you sit down.
For the right kind of fashion for Raya, check out Clove in Sunday Star tomorrow.