Game show contestant dies after completing extreme challenge


By AGENCY

Filepic of the game show 'Wipeout'. Photo: Handout

A contestant on Wipeout has died after completing the game show’s obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.

The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7pm Wednesday (Nov 18), Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man’s name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.

The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.

Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show’s set in Santa Clarita, California, when he needed medical attention. He was helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly.

The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.” TBS said in a statement.

Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.

The death was first reported by TMZ. – AP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Entertainment

Former AOA member Mina attempts suicide after posting letter about past scandals
Blackpink's Jennie and Canadian singer Grimes spark rumours of collaboration with rocket photos
Red alert for Korean showbiz industry as Covid-19 cases escalate
Singer Lizzo warns fans to stay 6 feet away from her as Delta variant spread in California
Singer Wang Leehom files police report over pirated versions of his music app
Singer Ronan Keating accepts damages in tabloid phone hacking case
Kim Min-gwi’s scenes to be edited out from K-drama ‘Nevertheless’ after cheating controversy
Singer Alessia Cara is not ashamed to talk about her mental health
ZZ Top's bearded bassist Dusty Hill dead at 72
Moses Chan is the highest paid star in TVB, earning RM16mil a year

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers