Opera star Anna Netrebko down with Covid-19 after performing at opening show post-lockdown


By AGENCY

The 48-year-old soprano wrote on Instagram: 'I've been in hospital for five days already with Covid pneumonia and will soon start recovering.' Photo: AFP

Russian opera star Anna Netrebko said on Thursday (Sept 17) she had contracted coronavirus and was in hospital with pneumonia after performing at the Bolshoi Theatre's post-lockdown opening show.

The singer's illness comes as two top Russian theatres have suffered outbreaks of the virus shortly after reopening, raising fears over the safety of performers.

The 48-year-old soprano wrote on Instagram: "I've been in hospital for five days already with Covid pneumonia and will soon start recovering.

"I came to hospital in time and they're helping me. Everything will be alright, the devil is not so black as he's painted," she added.

She said that her husband, Azerbaijani tenor Yusif Eyvazov, had tested positive for antibodies to the virus, showing he had been infected earlier. He is currently performing in Queen Of Spades at the Bolshoi.

Netrebko performed on Sept 6 and 8 in Don Carlos at the Bolshoi, the legendary theatre's opening show after lockdown.

The Bolshoi had to cancel the third performance of the Verdi opera, set for Sept 10, after Russian bass Ildar Abdrazakov tested positive for coronavirus.

Netrebko's manager Maxim Berin told The New York Times that she had been unwell since Sept 9 but was now feeling better.

The news that Netrebko also caught the virus comes as the Bolshoi has mounted an ambitious new season including performances of Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake later this month.

It has put social distancing measures in place for the audience including compulsory wearing of masks and spaced-out seating.

The Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg in mid-August suffered an outbreak of coronavirus affecting around 30 performers, most of them ballet dancers, with three people hospitalised, a city public health official told the state TASS news agency.

The theatre said it was cutting ballet dancers' rehearsal times as a preventative measure. It also had to postpone several ballet performances.

The Mariinsky Theatre, known as the Kirov Theatre in the Soviet era, held the first post-lockdown staging in its historic building on Aug 1. – AFP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Entertainment

Malaysian singer Namewee says he is not anti-China
HK star Aaron Kwok shares rare photos of family for his 56th birthday
Will Alec Baldwin shooting lead to criminal charges or lawsuits?
JoAnna Cameron, star of groundbreaking superhero series ‘Secrets Of Isis,’ dies at 70
'La Brea' review: We would like some nuts with all that cheese
New report questions validity of claims made by Kim Seon-ho’s ex-girlfriend against him
Duran Duran drops new album 40 years after debut
Beyond's Paul Wong shows his love to wife Athena Chu as she turns 50
Music fans spending more time listening to tunes during pandemic, study reveals
HK star Eric Tsang says he earns less as TVB’s general manager than as an actor

Others Also Read


Vouchers