Misha Omar still feels nervous about performing live


  • Music
  • Thursday, 22 Nov 2018

Photo: INTAN SYUHADA/The Star

After a 10-year hiatus, Misha Omar made a big splash last year when her comeback single, Terimaku Seadanya, won second place at Anugerah Juara Lagu (AJL).

The 36-year-old is following up the achievement with Muzik Muzik semi-finals contender, Sampai Bila.

In order to stay fresh, Misha talks about bringing something new to the table without compromising her musical identity.

“I’ve tried experimenting with other genres before but people still love me for my ballads. Having said that, Sampai Bila is a different type of ballad.

“The tempo of this ballad is a lot faster than the ones that I’m used to singing. So that’s quite a challenge,” she explains.

Misha says competing in the semi-finals of Muzik Muzik still makes her nervous, despite having won the prestigious Best Song title for Bunga Bunga Cinta in AJL 2003.

“The composition of the song, which makes up 80% of the total score, has been judged earlier. The remaining 20% is judged based on the singer’s performance.

“So when you step on stage, in a way, everything is on your shoulders.

“You want to make sure you don’t make any mistakes and you can contribute to the overall score,” she says.

Misha adds it’s encouraging to see a good mix of established artistes and newcomers in this year’s competition.

“There was a point where people said only senior artistes competed (in Muzik Muzik) and new ones didn’t stand much chance.

“Newcomers would wonder if anyone wanted to hear their songs.

“And at another time, we also have senior artistes saying, ‘We haven’t released a song in a long time. If we did, would anyone still (want to) listen to us.’

“So this year, it feels like there is space for all of us to make music. It feels balanced.”


Muzik Muzik is a weekly music chart show. Viewers vote for their favourite songs to enter and remain on the chart for as long as possible.

Thirty songs that clock in the most weeks on the chart by the end of the year will advance to the semi-final round. Here, each song is performed live in front of a panel of judges who will then whittle down the 30 songs to only 12.

In the splashy finale known as Anugerah Juara Lagu (AJL)these 12 songs are performed live again to a panel of judges for a shot at the prestigious title, Best Song.

The semi-finals of Muzik Muzik airs for three Fridays, beginning Nov 9, Nov 16 and Nov 23 at 9pm on TV3. The AJL finale will take place on Feb 3.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online