The RHB Art With Heart exhibition series has returned this year with a community-inspired theme "Rising Together".
This fourth edition of the show, an initiative by the local bank, is showing now (free admission) at the Bangsar Shopping Centre (concourse area) in Kuala Lumpur until Sept 11.
The exhibition celebrates the talents of 53 homegrown artists, including familiar names such as Faizal Suhif, Noor Mahnun Mohamed, Farif Jalil, Al-Khuzairie Ali, and Suddin Lappo.
The diverse and inclusive line-up also includes artists with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) as well as visually impaired photographers (from the social enterprise Plus Community Partnership).
More than 100 pieces of art are up for sale where 20% proceeds will also benefit underprivileged families and B40 communities through various RHB Foundation initiatives.
Mohd Rashid Mohamad, RHB group managing director/group chief executive officer, said this year’s Art With Heart exhibition is themed "Rising Together" to reflect on the last two pandemic years that had been a challenging time for all Malaysians as well as for local artists who struggled to sell their works.
“This is the fourth edition of RHB Art With Heart since 2016, and the large number of local artists participating in RHB AwH 2022 reflects the growing reach and impact of this initiative within the arts fraternity. After a two-year hiatus due to Covid-19, this year’s exhibition is even more meaningful as we showcase an even more diverse and inclusive artist line-up. This includes unique art pieces by the differently-abled, young and emerging, and established artists, as well as having a balanced representation of male and female artists," said Mohd Rashid at a special preview of the exhibition yesterday.
"We hope our efforts will continue to encourage our talented homegrown artists, and help them generate sustainable income while we contribute towards lifting the lives of the underprivileged,” he added.
"This year, AwH22 (Art With Heart) features an array of visually stimulating artworks in a variety of styles from abstract, figurative and landscape paintings to sculptures as well as photography, that best encapsulates the theme 'Rising Together'. It is with hope that this initiative will continue to inspire Malaysians in appreciating, and collecting, wonderful works of art, while extending a helping hand to communities in need," outlines the exhibition's curatorial notes.
Maryam Zhafira Anuar, 10, born with Down Syndrome, is one of the participating artists and she managed to sell two (out of three) of her artworks (at a price tag of RM1,500 and RM2,600) at the show's recent preview.
Her mother Sharifah Sarah Syed Mohamed Tahir said being disabled was not a limitation for Maryam and it proved that as long as children with disabilities were given the right support, they are able to do well and be confident with themselves.
"We hope other parents do not feel disheartened by the diagnosis of their children," said Sharifah.
Over the past three editions, RHB Art With Heart has featured a total of 66 artists, with nearly 300 artworks exhibited. Through this platform, the exhibition has sold artworks worth more than RM600,000, with 80% of proceeds going to the artists and the remaining 20% being channelled towards underprivileged communities.