Pairing the brew with food


  • Eating Out
  • Wednesday, 30 Oct 2019

Chargrilled Wagyu beef sirloin with watercress, caramelised onion and potatoes.

GROWING UP, chef Yuichi Kamimura observed many advertisements on his way to school but one that caught his attention was a beer ad featuring a legendary American boxer.

“My friends and I were about six or seven years old and we would mimic what he did in the advertisements,” said Kamimura while showing the punching moves that often popped up on their television sets where the boxer would end it by saying “Super Dry”.

He said he did not understand why the drink was so popular as he was too young to try it then.

“After watching different beer advertisements over the years, my schoolmates still do the punching moves when we meet,” he said.

The chef who runs Michelin-starred Japanese-French restaurant Kamimura, in Hokkaido, Japan, was in town to cook a special six-course menu to be paired with the iconic Asahi Super Dry beer in Shah Alam.

Coincidentally, Kamimura said he remembered many Asahi advertisements and often reminded himself to indulge in that brand of beer.

“It was after a baseball camp when we were all tired and my friend suggested we head out to buy some beer, and that was when I tried Asahi Super Dry for the first time at 14 years old,” he said.

Today, the award-winning chef admitted he still enjoyed drinking beer and Asahi Super Dry was his favourite.

Kamimura’s first beer was the Asahi Super Dry and he still enjoys it after a long day in the kitchen.Kamimura’s first beer was the Asahi Super Dry and he still enjoys it after a long day in the kitchen.

“Beer is something we enjoy after a long day at work and it is a drink that is easily liked by many people,” he said during a special degustation dinner by Carlsberg Malaysia for 40 lucky draw winners.

Held at Senja at The Saujana Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Kamimura introduced guests to the special menu featuring locally sourced ingredients.

“Pairing food with beer is easy as it goes well with just about anything,” he said, adding that there were no rules on what we could pair with beer.

We started off with the Asahi Squid Fritter with Dried Mullet Roe followed by Confit Scallop that went nicely with pickled burdock, cucumber, seaweed, lemon and tomato salsa.

The next dish was the Deep-fried Poached Marinated Eggplant served with a quail egg and mimolette cheese.

Just before the main course, we savoured the Lobster Bisque with grilled lobster and potato noodles.

As we sipped on Asahi Super Dry, we learned that the Japanese beer was a good palate cleanser.

Deep-fried Poached Marinated eggplant with a quail egg and mimolette cheese.Deep-fried Poached Marinated eggplant with a quail egg and mimolette cheese.

Asahi global brand advocate Gota Iribe explained the beer’s distinct taste.

“It is brewed in a unique ‘karakuchi’ style to give it a clean, crisp palate and no bitter aftertaste,” said Iribe, adding that its speciality was to “kire” or cut out any lingering food flavours on the palate.

Iribe also taught us how a perfectly poured Asahi Super Dry should look like and we had a chance to try it out at the draught station.

“You have to tilt the glass and pour 70% of the beer, then fill the remaining 30% with foam to ensure the ‘tension’ or gas is kept under the foam which will only be released when you drink it,” said Iribe.

Lobster bisque with grilled lobster and potato noodles.Lobster bisque with grilled lobster and potato noodles.

The evening continued on with Kamimura’s main course of Chargrilled Wagyu Beef Sirloin with watercress, caramelised onion and potatoes.

For dessert, the Pear Sorbet with yoghurt cream, maple syrup, nuts and lime proved perfect as we continued enjoying servings of beer before calling it a night.

Confit scallop pairs nicely with pickled burdock, cucumber, seaweed, lemon and tomato salsa. — Photos courtesy of Carlsberg Malaysia.Confit scallop pairs nicely with pickled burdock, cucumber, seaweed, lemon and tomato salsa. — Photos courtesy of Carlsberg Malaysia.

SENJA, The Saujana Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Saujana Resort, Jalan Lapangan Terbang Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah, Shah Alam, Selangor. (Tel: 03-7843 1234 ext 6122) Business hours: Noon to 2pm and 6.30pm to 11.30pm (Monday to Saturday). Closed on Sundays and public holidays.

This is the writer’s personal observation and is not an endorsement by StarMetro.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site