HANOI: Vietnam will turn off 2G technology from September 2024, says the Information and Communications Ministry (MIC).
Carriers will have a policy to support users to switch to (at least) 4G devices.
Information and Communications Deputy Minister Pham Duc Long said that this month was the expiration date for mobile telecommunications service business licences and radio frequency band licences.
After this licence expires, the 900/1800MHz band will no longer be used for the 2G mobile communication system according to the national plan on the radio frequency spectrum.
To promote the transition from feature phones to smartphones, the ministry previously issued a circular regulating all mobile phones manufactured or imported into Vietnam from July 1, 2021 to be integrated with 4G technology.
Since then, phones using 2G technology have not been imported or manufactured.
In addition, the Deputy Minister said that for people to not lose contact, network operators will develop policies to support terminal devices and support charges for customers.
The MIC issued a document guiding the implementation of the roadmap and plan to stop 2G mobile technology on Sept 27 last year.
Previously, the ministry worked with representatives of mobile business leaders and agreed on a roadmap to stop 2G mobile technology.
In parallel with implementing the plan to stop 2G technology, businesses must ensure the provision of new mobile information services, it said.
The ministry also said that network operators would stop selling SIM cards through agents from Sept 10 to curb unauthorised use.
The ministry said that about 80% of the 1.5 million new SIM cards that were released to the market recently, were issued through agents, only 10% are directly from the network operator, and the remainder through other chain channels, such as the phone retail systems. — Viet Nam News/ANN