Petronas makes 2nd gas discovery in Baram


Petronas senior vice-president of Malaysia petroleum management, Mohamed Firouz Asnan, (pic) said the success of Nangka-1 well marked the second gas discovery within the Baram Province this year.

PETALING JAYA: Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) yesterday announced a gas discovery from its Nangka-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417, located in the shallow waters of Baram province about 180km off the coast of Sarawak.

The Nangka-1 well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,758 metres in September 2021.

“The sweet gas was discovered in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI clastic reservoirs, further validating the hydrocarbon potential in the surrounding areas,” Malaysia’s fully integrated petroleum corporation said in a statement.

PTTEP HK Offshore Ltd is the operator for Block SK417 with an 80% participating interest, while Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 20%.

The block was awarded in March 2018 following the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.

Petronas bldgPetronas bldg

Petronas senior vice-president of Malaysia petroleum management, Mohamed Firouz Asnan, (pic) said the success of Nangka-1 well marked the second gas discovery within the Baram Province this year.

“The finding of contaminant-free gas in Nangka-1 reaffirms sweet gas opportunities within the area, and subsequently upgrades Baram clastics play.

“This second gas find further reinvigorates the Baram Province, which is part of the established Baram Delta region, signalling potential for more discoveries in the neighbouring acreages.

“The availability of existing facilities within the region will allow the petroleum arrangement contractors to monetise their discoveries quicker and cheaper through tie-back solutions,” he added.

In February this year, Petronas announced a new gas discovery in the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in the same block of the Baram Province.

For more information on investment opportunities in Malaysia, visit https://www.petronas.com/mpm/. ―Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Petronas , gas , discovery , Baram ,

   

Next In Business News

Escalated Russia-Ukraine conflict would keep inflation higher longer -IMF
Microsoft cloud performance lags highest Wall Street hopes
U.S. awards 13 mln barrel exchange of crude from strategic reserve
Oil price rises on concerns global political risks could tighten supplies
Wall Street ends down as markets whipsaw ahead of Fed meeting
Swirling concerns pressure bourse
High Court imposes 24 months imprisonment term on former Transmile CEO
Tanco aims to secure contracts worth RM200mil in 2022
FMM: Critical to develop foreign worker recruitment policy and system
Sasbadi slips into the red

Others Also Read


Vouchers