Iskandar Malaysia still draws investments


JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia remains attractive to investors despite operating in a challenging economic landscape brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

According to Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive Datuk Ismail Ibrahim, investment projects worth RM7.33bil were implemented in Iskandar Malaysia in the first four months of this year.

He said the implementation of the projects between January and April saw the involvement of about 20% domestic investors while the remaining 80% were foreigners.

“The implementation of these projects is a positive indication that the country’s first economic growth corridor still retains the trust of the investors,’’ Ismail said in a statement.

He hoped the investors’ confidence in Iskandar Malaysia will continue to strengthen.

At the same time, Irda continues to receive the support and approval for manufacturing projects from the Malaysia Investment Development Authority (Mida).

He said the latter had approved projects last year to be developed in Iskandar Malaysia, including those from China, Japan and Singapore.

Ismail said the top three industries approved were transport equipment, electrical and electronics, as well as machinery and equipment.

“Overall, we have recorded RM341.4bil in total cumulative investment since our inception on Nov 4, 2006, of which 61% of the figure has been implemented,’’ he added.

Ismail noted that 61% of these investment amounting to RM209.9bil was led by the manufacturing sector, followed by logistics, tourism, creative services and healthcare services.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Iskandar Malaysia , Covid-19 , pandemic

   

Next In Business News

IATA: Total air traffic surges 68% in August 2022
U.S. weekly jobless claims increase more than expected
Malaysian bubble tea chain brewing up rapid expansion, to revisit IPO plans
Hong Leong Banks introduce enhanced security measures to protect customers from fraud
Ringgit retreats from gains to close lower against US dollar
Nestcon bags RM91.18mil hydroelectric project
Yinson secures US$720mil financing for FPSO Maria Quit�ria
Bursa Malaysia Derivatives to host inaugural East Malaysia POC 2022 in Kota Kinabalu
Tropicana and Marriott ink to build Sheraton in Langkawi
Citaglobal obtains shareholders’ nod to buy CESSB for RM140mil

Others Also Read