Pertamina plans to issue first-ever green bond by next year


Energy shift: A Pertamina oil tanker on the road in Jakarta. Its green bonds would help expand its green energy business to contribute between 10% and 15% of total revenue within five years. — AFP

Jakarta: State-owned oil and gas (O&G) holding giant Pertamina is planning to issue its maiden green bonds within the coming year to finance its geothermal business.

Pertamina is the second Indonesian state-owned energy firm to unveil its plan to issue a sustainable finance instrument after the state electricity firm (PLN), respectively the fourth and first largest state-owned enterprise by assets.

Finance director Emma Sri Martini said that the bonds would help expand Pertamina’s green energy business to contribute between 10% and 15% of to total revenue within five years, compared to the current figure of under 5%.

“We realise that the sunset for fossil fuels will happen in 30 to 40 years down the road. Like it or not, we have to prepare to enter the energy transition period, ” Emma said at a webinar hosted by sustainable finance nonprofit Climate Bonds Initiative (CBI).

She also noted that Pertamina’s bonds could be issued through its geothermal subsidiary, PT Pertamina Geothermal Energy, and that Manulife Investment Management was a potential bondholder. Emma added the company might also issue bonds to develop its green capacities, including solar.

Data compiled by CBI shows that South-East Asian companies had raised US$3.09bil (RM12.78bil) for geothermal projects through green bonds between 2016 and 2020. Of the total funds, Filipino companies raised 45.2% and the remaining 54.8% by Indonesia’s Star Energy Geothermal.

The green bonds are mostly denominated in US dollars, with issue sizes ranging between US$60mil and US$790mil.

“We are excited to hear that Pertamina will be specifically seeking funding for (geothermal project) investments via green bonds or traditional funding. Global investors are telling us they are very keen on new opportunities in clean energy, ” CBI chief executive Sean Kidney told The Jakarta Post.

Through subsidiary PT Pertamina Power Indonesia, the O&G giant currently operates 4,146MW of power plants, of which 57% are geothermal power plants. The company has plans to ramp up its solar capacity and to enter the electric vehicle battery industry.

Pertamina plans to operate 10,000MW of green power plants by 2026 in line with its commitment to the 2025 national energy mix target of 23%. Indonesia’s renewable energy share reached 11.51% in 2020. — The Jakarta Post/ANN

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Indonesia , Pertamina , green bond , next year ,

   

Next In Business News

Bank Islam continues enhanced targeted repayment aid
UK probe of Gupta’s GFG a big test for beleaguered SFO
ESG provokes laughter and nightmares
Soros bought up stocks linked to Bill Hwang’s Archegos implosion
KLCI futures to trade higher next week
CPO futures to move higher next week
Biden rescinds Trump-era health insurance requirement for new immigrants
Venezuelan court seizes newspaper office in defamation case
FTC officials say 7-Eleven purchase of Speedway chain likely illegal despite closing
GLOBAL-LNG-Asian spot prices hit $10 on global supply disruptions

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers