MIDA: Penang records RM9.12bil manufacturing investments in 1H20

Penang chief minister Chow Kon Yeow

GEORGE TOWN: Penang recorded a total of RM9.12 billion in approved manufacturing investments in the first half of 2020 (1H20), according to the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA).

Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the state garnered 29 projects and recorded RM2.02 billion manufacturing investments in the second quarter of 2020 (2Q20), up 452 per cent year-on-year (y-o-y).

"These projects, together with approved projects in the previous quarter (1Q20), are expected to generate 6,971 new job opportunities in Penang,” he said in a press conference here, today.

In 2Q20, RM1.65 billion or 82 per cent of state manufacturing investments came from foreign direct investment (FDI), whereas the remaining RM373 million or 18 per cent consisted of domestic direct investment (DDI), Chow added.

He also said that on a y-o-y basis, Penang’s approved manufacturing FDI rose 600 per cent, while DDI rose 186 per cent in 2Q20.

"With the FDI inflows totalling RM8.42 billion in 1H20, Penang is the highest manufacturing FDI contributor, bringing in 47 per cent of the nation’s manufacturing FDI for the period,” he said.

The chief minister also said the countries with top manufacturing FDI in Penang in 1H20 were Singapore, Switzerland, and the United States, with one of the notable new projects approved being Ultra Clean Holdings, a US-based leading supplier of critical subsystems for semiconductor and related manufacturing industries.

Chow said the electronics & electrical (E&E), machinery & equipment, and scientific & measuring equipment manufacturing sectors remained the state’s main push, collectively contributing 93 per cent of Penang’s total approved manufacturing investments in 1H20.

"It is reassuring to see that despite the COVID-19 pandemic and the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) by the Federal Government throughout the period, investors remained confident in Penang.

"Penang’s sustainable business environment, vigorous industrial ecosystem, and supportive infrastructure are among the state’s appealing aspects that continue to attract investors,” he added. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Business News

PBOC: China will maintain prudent, flexible monetary policy
Bank Rakyat launches entrepreneur programme
CPO futures seen trading with upward bias next week
As scrutiny mounts, crypto exchange Binance to wind down derivatives in Europe
Oil price climbs, notches fourth monthly gain on growing demand
Chevron tops profit estimates, joins share buyback stampede
Indian billionaire's new airline may give Boeing a chance to regain lost ground
Global Markets: US stocks slip, US# has worst week in almost two months
Post-pandemic comeback of Malaysian REITs
Selective opportunities in equities

Stories You'll Enjoy