Time for hotel industry to ‘remove the box’


Hanley Chew: According to a recent study by the Malaysia Association of Hotels (MAH), the industry is looking at a potential loss of RM6.3bil in room revenue alone. Assuming room revenue accounts for 60% of the total hotel revenue, with food and beverage and other income accounting for the remaining 40%, the industry is facing a RM10.5bil in potential losses.

THE hotel industry is one of the worst-hit industries during this crisis. A lot of studies have been conducted to help us understand the impact on the economy and our organisation’s bottom line.

Industry experts, through their various associations, have predicted that the average hotel occupancy in Malaysia for the year will stand at around 25% or less. This is such a shame, knowing that 2020 is supposed to be Visit Malaysia Year and Tourism Malaysia would have spent millions of ringgits through its promotional channels to bring holiday seekers to Malaysia.

Article type: metered
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Hotel , industry , remove , box , Hanley Chew , rooms ,

   

Next In Business News

Ekuinas exploring key investments Premium
Farm Fresh net profit jumps 51% to RM17.7mil in 4Q Premium
Pekat's net profit down to RM4.40mil in 1Q Premium
KLCCP Stapled Group’s 1Q net profit rises to RM161.44mil Premium
Carlsberg appoints Chor Chee Heung as chairman Premium
Malakoff 1Q net profit dips 15.8% to RM50.9mil Premium
Carlsberg 1Q net profit surges 38% to RM91.6mil Premium
Ringgit ends easier versus US dollar Premium
Sime Darby Property posts RM51.84mil in 1Q Premium
Vietnam EV maker VinFast to shift HQ to Singapore ahead of first exports Premium

Others Also Read