IHH Healthcare remains committed to takeover of India's Fortis


“In light of the judgement, the Fortis open offer as well the Malar open offer (which is subject to the completion of the Fortis open offer) will not proceed for the time being,” IHH Healthcare said.

KUALA LUMPUR: IHH Healthcare Bhd is seeking appropriate legal advice after India’s Supreme Court refused to lift the block on completion of the takeover of embattled hospital chain Fortis Healthcare Ltd.

In an announcement to Bursa Malaysia on Monday, IHH said it remained committed to proceed with the open offer for India's Fortis once the stay is lifted by the court. The next hearing date for this matter is on Feb 3,2020.

Last week the court held Fortis’ founders – Malvinder Singh and Shivinder Singh – guilty of contempt of court and said it could start similar proceedings against the company, according to a judgment.

This effectively halted IHH’s open offer to Fortis shareholders that would have brought its holdings in India’s second-largest hospital company above 50%. IHH is already Fortis’ largest shareholder with a 31% stake.

The corporate exercise involved IHH subscribing for 235.29 million new shares in Fortis; mandatory open offer to acquire an additional 26% of the expanded capital of Fortis and uo to 4.89 million shares or 26% of Fortis Malar Hospitals Ltd.

In Monday's statement, IHH said the 31.1% of the expanded voting share capital of Fortis held by IHH through Northern TK Venture Pte Ltd was through a preferential allotment and not through the purchase or transer of exisiting Fortis shares.

IHH said the subscription, which was completered on Nov 13,2018 was undertaken in a fair and transparent manner, after obtaining the requisite corporate and regulatory approvals and in accordance with all applicable laws.

“The board further states that the subscription was undertaken and completed (through a process run by the reconstituted Fortis Board) after Malvinder Mohan Singh and Shivinder Mohan Singh (Erstwhile promoters”) were no longer in control of Fortis.

“IHH has at no time dealt with nor colluded with the Erstwhile Promoters or any entities related or controlled by them in relation to the subscription.

“In light of the judgement, the Fortis open offer as well the Malar open offer (which is subject to the completion of the Fortis open offer) will not proceed for the time being, ” it said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Business News

CPO futures seen trading with upward bias next week
As scrutiny mounts, crypto exchange Binance to wind down derivatives in Europe
Oil price climbs, notches fourth monthly gain on growing demand
Chevron tops profit estimates, joins share buyback stampede
Indian billionaire's new airline may give Boeing a chance to regain lost ground
Global Markets: US stocks slip, US# has worst week in almost two months
Post-pandemic comeback of Malaysian REITs
Selective opportunities in equities
Rocky road to recovery
How strong is the transitory narrative?

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers