Indonesia could take back 1.4mil hectares of land from oil palm planters


Prabianto Mukti Wibowo, forestry governance official at Indonesia's Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs, said 5.8 million hectares of forest area has been licensed out for palmplantations but 1.4 million hectares of that has not yet been converted to plantations and still has good tree cover.

JAKARTA: The Indonesian government could take back 1.4 million hectares (3.5 million acres) of forest as part of its ban on land clearing for palm plantations, an official said on Thursday.

Last year President Joko Widodo issued a ban on new permits for palm plantations for three years, aiming to protect the country's forests. The order also gave the government authority to review existing licenses, and revoke them if the area has not yet been cleared.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Business News

Lagenda eyes next growth chapter with record RM1.75bil unbilled sales
Master Tec posts 21.5% rise in 2Q net profit
DRB-Hicom expects moderate outlook for FY26
OCR’s Residensi Akasia fully sold as project reaches topping-out stage
FGV appoints Nurul Muhaniza Hanafi as group managing director
Golden Destinations eyes growth with East Malaysia, Singapore expansion
ITMAX bags RM186.8mil Perkeso contract
Kossan to acquire S'pore-based company for RM48mil
MMCS eyes growth backed by RM101.7mil order book
Ringgit extends gains to close higher vs major, regional currencies

Others Also Read