Press Metal RM739m purchase of Japan Almunina based on cashflow, assets


This proposed acquisition via its 80%-owned subsidiary, Press Metal Bintulu Sdn Bhd will enable PMetal to access 5% of the annual production of WAP, which amounts to 230,000 tonnes of alumina p.a which is 15% of PMetal

KUALA LUMPUR: Press Metal Bhd subsidiary's purchase of 50% stake in Japan Alumina Associates (Australia) or JAA for A$250mil (RM739mil) is based on cash flow generation and net assets.

The aluminum smelter said on Tuesday the purchase consideration by its 80% owned Press Metal Bintulu Sdn Bhd was based on the continuous cash flow generation capabilities of JAA in the near future and further supported by the JAA's net asset position.

In its reply to a query from Bursa Malaysia Securities, it said JAA's net position as at Dec 31, 2017 was the net assets of A$274.68mil and shareholder loan of A$216mil totalling A$490.68mil.

Press Metal Bintulu's 50% share would amount to A$137.34mil net assets and shareholder loan of A$108mil totalling A$245.34mil.

It also said JAA's audited net profit at Dec 31, 2017 was A$13.64mil and net assets A$274.33mil.

On Oct 17, Press Metal announced  Press Metal Bintulu had inked a deal with Itochu Minerals & Energy of Australia Pty Ltd (IMEA) and the holding company Itochu Corporation to acquire the 50% equity interest in JAA for A$250mil.

Itochu Corp holds 96.3% of IMEA and Itochu Australia Ltd the remaining 3.7%.

JAA holds 10% participation interest in the Worsley Alumina unincorporated joint venture which owns and operates the Worsley Alumina Project, one of the world’s largest, longest life and lowest cost alumina producers. 

Press Metal had then said the proposed acquisition would enable it to access 5% of the annual production of the Worsley Alumina project which amounts to 230,000 metric tonnes of alumina per annum. 

It added then the acquisition would ensure Press Metal’s long-term access to raw material and reduces its exposure and reliance on third party suppliers. The proposed acquisition was expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2019. 
  
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Business News

Morgan Stanley CEO's annual pay rises by over 20%
‘Unstoppable’ luxury stocks remind some investors of US tech
Ambani’s Reliance doubles down on 5G pledge after record profit
PUNB offers payment deferment, rental discount
CPO futures may undergo technical correction next week
Blackstone-backed Patria eyes expansion in Latam, Asia
METALS: Tin, aluminium, copper prices down
Oil price falls on China's COVID-19 cases, high crude build
IBM, Intel slump weighs on Wall St as coronavirus concerns rise
GLOBAL MARKETS-Weak data, earnings drag stocks lower

Stories You'll Enjoy