RAWANG: Production of Perusahaan Otomobil Kedua Sdn Bhd (Perodua) best-selling model, the new Myvi, has been temporarily halted due to a supply disruption.
In a statement, Perodua said the disruption at one of its vendors, resulting in some 3,000 customers not being able to register their new Perodua Myvi before the end of August.
“We wish to apologise most sincerely to our customers who have been waiting patiently for their new Myvi,” Perodua Sales Sdn Bhd managing director Datuk Dr Zahari Husin said.
“We take full responsibility for this issue and are putting all the necessary measures in place to ensure that production resumes as soon as possible,” he said.
Zahari said that for Perodua, the current priority is to deliver the new Perodua Myvi to some 3,000 customers who were originally scheduled to receive their cars before September 1, adding that allocation for all Myvi orders before June 1 has just been completed.
“We fully understand and are deeply concerned with the frustration of the customers involved. As such, we are currently working on a suitable form of compensation for said customers and will get in touch with them very soon via our outlets,” Zahari said.
Perodua said there had been a surge in demand for vehicles since the Goods and Services Tax (GST) rate was reduced from 6% to 0% effective June 1, ahead of the imminent reintroduction of the Sales and Service Tax (SST) on September 1.
To date, over 68,000 Perodua Myvis have reached owners out of over 120,000 bookings collected since the hatchback’s November 2017 launch, making it consistently Perodua’s best seller throughout the year so far.
Perodua has sold an estimated 140,000 vehicles between January and July this year, representing a jump of nearly 19% over the 118,600 it sold in the previous corresponding period.